Dent Island to Roscoe Bay

Dent Island Lodge to Walsh Cove: 21.1NM 

Walsh Cove to Roscoe Bay: 8.3NM 

We awoke to a lovely day, which meant that Ann and Doug were going to have a fog-free morning to fish. We took it easy and prepared the boat for our departure, which was to be around 1pm when the next 2 sets of rapids were near slack. We hung out at the lodge, paid the bill, played with the kitties (Miss Kitty and Twitch), and finagled two amazing home made chocolate chip cookies from the caretaker. 


Dent Island dining room. 



Dent Island Bar. 



Dent Island Library. 

I had a little more luck shopping the fresh salmon around today, but still have a refrigerator and freezer full. 


Miss Kitty gets some laptime before we depart Dent Lodge. 

As we were eating lunch aboard, Ann and Doug returned, having caught their limit of 4 Chinook and a variety of Coho that they had to release. Good for them! 

As slack approached, we noticed a line up of boats wanting to come into Dent Island’s docks, so we took off to make room. We were sad to leave, but looking forward to more adventures elsewhere. We didn’t get too far before we had a scary moment when Bob said we had lost the steering on the boat (right in the middle of the first thankfully slack rapid). I won’t tell the tale, but we figured it out quickly and continued on our way. 


The local Chevy. The preferred mode of transport of the locals. Covered and warm, fast and rugged, made from welded aluminium. 

It was sunny and bright and calm, and we had a peaceful passage down to Walsh Cove Marine Park. I had planned on overnighting here, but after we checked it out, we felt that it was more of a lunch stop than a good place to anchor and kayak. So we continued on to Roscoe Bay, a lovely place that we had visited last year. Roscoe is known for the drying shoal in the entrance. You can only enter or leave when the tide is rising, otherwise you’re a bit landlocked. 


Narrow entrance into Roscoe Bay over the drying bar. 

We arrived at the entrance at 4pm and quickly figured out that we were a bit early. After chatting up a few small boats that were going by and asking them to read their least depth when crossing the shoal, we figured out that by 5pm we could enter safely. I stood out on the bowsprit, looking intently for rocks. I clearly saw the bottom, but nothing too close, and our least depth was only 8.7 feet. 

We found a great place to stern tie and settled in for the evening. It was fun to watch others come into the bay and go through the stern tying and anchoring drill.  


Best of Times secure in Roscoe Bay. 

We have these nifty transmitters that we wear with headsets that look like something a receptionist might wear, so that we can communicate while out of line of sight of each other while anchoring or docking. Most folks don’t have them, so they yell at each other and it’s really amusing. 

That night, we had to have salmon. I reminded Bob that Salmon and pasta work together, and he made this amazingly killer salmon gorgonzola over penne pasta that was so fabulous it brought tears to my eyes. Who needs to eat ashore with this type of food? 


Sunset in Roscoe Bay.